Recently I read an article from long-healthy-hair-advisor.com and thought I’d share it with you. I'm a faithful Castor Oil user myself and know for sure that the information presented below is true. Enjoy!
Benefits of Castor Oil
* Castor oil contains Omega-9 fatty acids which help moisturize the hair and the scalp preventing both from becoming dry.
* Does castor oil help hair grow? It sure does. Regularly applying castor oil to your scalp and roots to eliminate dry hair and promote re-growth of hair within months. It will also help to thicken hair that is thinning out.
* Helps reduce and prevent damage. Also can hide the appearance of damage while trying to improve your hair's health leading to thicker, fuller hair over time.
* You can also experiment with adding some castor oil to your conditioners for a deep conditioning treatment. You'll have to experiment with the amount of castor oil to use to avoid greasy hair. I would start off with a small amount like a teaspoon or less.
* Castor oil is versatile in that you can mix it with other oils to still receive the benefits but avoid the super-thick consistency. Try mixing it with Sweet Almond Oil to make it a lighter oil that is much easier to spread and gives it a nice scent.
* You can also experiment with castor oil for hair on your ends. This rich, thick oil will help your ends becomes shiny and hide the appearance of frizzy, damaged, and split ends. Over time, as you trim damage away, you'll notice your hair won't develop split ends as easily. Since it is so thick, you may want to mix it first.
Best Castor Oil to Use on Hair
A popular hair growth oil is the Jamaican Black unrefined applied to roots and scalp regularly. Jamaican Black Castor Oil is the best kind to use for your hair. You can typically find castor oil at any grocery store or drugstore. If you have difficulties in finding Jamaican Black Castor Oil in a drugstore, you can check out online retailers to get the purest form of this oil.
The reasoning behind looking for black castor oil is to have an unrefined oil.
Using the unrefined or purest form of castor oil for hair will ensure that you get the best results because the oil is still closest to its natural state. The color will typically be darker and the scent will be much richer.
Castor Oil Homemade Recipe
Castor oil can be used in homemade recipes just like many other oils. One thing to note: Don't apply castor oil full-strength to the rest of your hair because it may be difficult to rinse off thoroughly due to its consistency.
Here's a castor oil for hair recipe that works well for those experiencing any type of hair loss or hair thinning:
- Apply to the scalp and roots of your hair.
- Put on a plastic cap
- Wrap your hair in a towel
- Let the castor oil sit in your hair overnight
- In the morning, shampoo your hair to remove the treatment making sure to get your scalp clean
- Proceed with your regular routine
You'll want to repeat this treatment once a week for 6-8 weeks to notice a difference in hair loss or thinning.
As you can see, castor oil for hair has many benefits in that it helps with hair growth, thinning, and is versatile to use in hair recipes.