Monday, August 15, 2011

10 Tips To Follow On Your Healthy Hair Journey

Growing up I always thought that my hair couldn't grow...and if it did, it would didn't grow past my neck (NL: neck length). I finally gave up on my hair and decided to just cut it all off in the summer time and rock a weave during the winter months. A co-worker of mine told me about Long Hair Care Forum, and after reading the many posts I found out my hair actually had hope.

Everyone’s hair grows...at different rates, but it grows. The main reason why a lot of African American women have problems with hair growth is because they don't understand the concept of retention and very often abuse their hair and scalp.

Here are 10 tips for you ladies:

  1. Remember the ends of your hair are the oldest and it must be taken cared of. Always keep your hair moisturized and protect those ends. If possible, try to moisturize your hair nightly and tie your hair down with a silk scarf. If you don’t have a silk scarf then use a silk pillow case to protect your hair while you sleep.
  2. When you apply moisturizers or conditioners to your hair...never neglect the ends of your hair!
  3. Deep conditioner should be your BEST friend. Try to do this weekly and your hair will thank you. To spice up your deep conditioner, try adding a little honey or extra virgin olive oil. Honey is a natural humectant which means it has the ability to attract and retain moisture. Extra virgin olive oil, or EVOO, is rich in biotin, niacin, vitamins A and E and antioxidants. Cold pressed EVOO is additive free and can be used to moisturize your skin and condition your hair. Use it as a hot oil treatment, a protective sealant, to treat dandruff and to add moisture to your scalp
  4. When detangling, try using conditioner to soften your hair and then detangle starting from the ends up working your way to the roots. I love Mane and Tail's Detangler!!! Act as if your hair is fine china...handle with care and always remember that your hair is most fragile when wet.
  5. Eating healthy, drinking plenty of water and exercise also helps with the health of your hair.
  6. We all like that creamy crack called a relaxer and let’s not forget that color box. If you do color or relax try to keep it at a minimum. I personally relax my hair ever 16-18 week, instead of the usual 6-8 weeks.
  7. Dust or trim your ends when needed to avoid split ends. I trim my ends after each relaxer process.
  8. Try massaging your scalp nightly. Don’t scratch your scalp if it gets flaky, try massaging more, patting, or softly removing scales with a comb. Scratching tears the skin or makes it easy for bacteria to enter and infections to arise.
  9. Heat can be your enemy. Try to limit the use of heat (i.e. flat irons, curling irons, pressing combs and blow driers). If you do use any of these products, try using them at a low temperature and ALWAYS use a heat protectant before styling with these tools!!!
  10. Protective Styling is your friend! I've managed to keep my hair healthy and I was also able to retain my length by using weaves, wigs, buns and braids as a protective style. 
Happy Hair Growing!!!





4 comments:

  1. Great tips. Like you I thought my hair couldn't grow, so I just chopped it all off. Now my hair is NL and my goal is to reach SL by January '12.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do more scalp massages. Nadege @ Relaxed Healthy Hair is always raving about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Relaxed Hair Diary can't wait to see your progress

    ReplyDelete