Friday, June 10, 2011

10 Great Tips for Healthy Hair During The Summer

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m totally syked that summer is almost here! We had a heat wave in NYC on Wednesday and Thursday and I loved every minute of it. I was off on Wednesday so I decided to make the best of it. I went to the movies with my lil sis, her boo and my boo to see the new X-Men movie (which I loved!!!!), went to the beach for a cool walk, went to an all you can eat buffet and then went to a park to just chill. Gotta love those summer days.
I'm sure you guys are too! But, let's not neglect our hair ladies. Here are some tips to keep in mind during this wonderful season:
  1. If you start to notice that your hair seems to be a little dry or lacks luster. Try adding a few drops of sesame oil (it has a natural UV protector) to the ends of your hair before you leave home.
  2. Give your hair a rest from your flat iron, blow dryer and curling iron during summer months. Air dry whenever possible or try easy chic styles. Check this post out if you need help -> Hair Style To Try: Side Braid
  3. Hair that is regularly exposed to the sun needs regular deep conditioning treatments and moisture replenishment. For extra conditioning treatment apply deep conditioner to tresses (damp or dry) then wrap in a shower cap or plastic bag (lol…the ghetto way).  Allow conditioner to soak into damaged hair sections for an extended period or overnight for extra repair and re-moisturizing benefits. When I sleep with conditioner in my hair I like to put a wool hat on top of the plastic bag for the extra steam. This is especially great for those like me who don’t have an AC and sweat like a pig at night…LOL
  4. Hanging out in the sun without protection for your hair and scalp is the worst thing you can do. Use leave in hair products with SPF protection when you know you will be out in the sun for a long period of time. My FAVORITE product to use is Luster’s Pink Oil Moisturizer Sheen with Sunscreen.
  1. Let’s not forget those roots. Drink plenty of liquids to keep roots and strands flush with fluids.  Water will also keep your skin soft and plump.  Now ladies, I know that some of you may enjoy those lovely iced cold alcoholic drinks (Pina Coladas and Margaritas), keep in mind that they can dehydrate skin and strands.  Water is always the best choice for your tresses.
  2. Saw this tip online: “Try to avoid parts in your hair all together! Use a fashionable headband or scarf to slick hair back. But if you must part your hair, use a sun specific product with a UV protectant, like Riccardo Maggiore Rinnova Texturizer, a unique leave-in treatment which contains sunscreen agents to protect hair from damaging UV rays.”
  3. Use a clarify shampoo to get rid of dirt, salt and chlorine build up.
  4. Avoid washing your hair in hot water, use warm or cool water instead, the heat can dry out and/or damage your hair.
  5. Avoid hair products with formaldehyde or alcohol in it. These ingredients are known to dry out hair, try to use natural products that are gentler.
  6. Another great tip I saw on-line: “Before going into the pool/ocean wet your hair, this will decrease the absorption of chlorinated/salt water into your hair.”

1 comment:

  1. GREAT tips, some that I haven't seen/heard before! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete